The Nutrition WOW mission: Spread simple yet powerful inspiration for a healthier & happier you.
Take a look around this site for ideas on how to eat right & feel awesome! We believe when you treat yo'self well you will be the healthiest & happiest person you know!
Do you get the WOW? Each Monday we send you a simple yet powerful idea, recipe or challenge to inspire your week. Sign-up & spread the WOW with friends!
Inside of you there are TWO people.
There is the WILD CHILD who wants to eat greasy pizza all day & just live it up. Naughty!
There is the HEALTH NUT who wants to eat kale all day & take amazing care of your body. Nice!
The struggle of all dieters is the fight between their wild child desires and their health nut sensibilities.
If you eat to please just your wild child you won’t be healthy, thin or fabulous. But, if you eat to please just your health nut you’ll feel diety & deprived. Oh, what to do? Answer: Don’t pick a side! It’s not pizza OR kale, it’s some pizza AND kale.
Try This: Before you eat, check in with BOTH your inner wild child & health nut. At each meal, aim to add a little something to please BOTH of them. It is the secret to a balanced & healthy relationship with food!
Coconut oil has some potential benefits in & on the body. It may decrease belly fat in exercisers and it’s a powerful hair conditioner & skin moisturizer.
But here’s the issue: It’s messy. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature so it’s often a pain to scrape it out of the jar & then once you melt it, it gets so drippy down the side of the jar.
SOLUTION: Make COCONUT OIL CUBES! They are mess-free & portion-controlled!
How to make cubes:
1) Liquify. Put coconut oil jar in warm water so it turns liquid (melting point = 76 degrees F).
2) Measure. Put a HALF tablespoon into each cube of an ice cube tray. Note: Flexible silicone trays work best.
3) Freeze. Pop tray in the freezer for 5 mins to set.
4) Store. Remove the cubes & keep them in a container in the fridge until you need a single-serving of coconut oil. They are 60 calories each.
Top 10 uses for coconut oil cubes:
- Coffee (use in place of creamer)
- Cinnamon toast spread (use in place of butter)
- Smoothies (use to add a creamy boost)
- Homemade granola (use in place of usual oil)
- Stir-fry recipes (use in place of usual oil)
- Stove-top popcorn (use in place of usual oil)
- Pan/cookie sheets (coat bakeware to prevent sticking)
- Conditioner (warm in hands & put in hair pre-shower)
- Makeup remover (warm in hands to take off makeup)
- Moisturizer (warm in hands & massage into skin)
I. Love. Tacos.
They are easy to make & can be a great vehicle to get in more veggies …especially one of my favs: Cabbage!
Cabbage is in the same vegetable family as kale & broccoli, so it has similar powerhouse health benefits like cancer prevention.
HOW TO: Tacos w/Taco Slaw
1) Make TACO SLAW: Mix coleslaw + cilantro + green onions + jalapeño.
2) Heat corn tortillas on the grill or in dry pan on the stovetop.
3) Add grilled fish or smashed black beans to the tortillas.
4) Top w/ SLAW, avocado slices, pico de gallo salsa & squeeze of fresh lime.
Beyond tacos, serve up this slaw as a…
- Peanut bowl. Top w/ grilled tofu or chicken & chopped peanuts.
- Breakfast hash. Sauté & top w/ an organic egg.
- Salad boost. Add a handful to your usual salads.
Let’s give lunch the makeover it deserves!
Sandwiches & wraps are mid-day staples, but they aren’t doing us any favors. No wonder we are so tired in the afternoon…refined bread/wraps, processed deli-meat & just a dusting of vegetables does not a meal of champions make.
Meet your NEW lunch go-to: LUNCH BOWLS! When done right they are energizing, filling & waistline-friendly. Added bonus: You’ll look classy eating a lunch bowl w/ a fork versus manhandling a sandwich or wrap.
Our new infographic breaks down the basic anatomy of a healthy bowl & includes 5 ideas to get you started:
- Mediterranean Hummus Bowl
- Asian Edamame Peanut Bowl
- Mexican Black Bean Burrito Bowl
- American BBQ Ranch Bowl
- Italian Parmesan-Marinara Bowl
Best of all, these bowls can be made in advance and travel well.
Let the full Lunch Bowl Infographic inspire you! Click HERE.
Guilty. I used to love a good suntan – I was no stranger to tanning booths or baby oil. Now I’m older & wiser so I understand that too much sun can lead to age spots, wrinkles & skin cancer. No thank you.
But is there anything more attractive than a sun-kissed glow? Heck YES there is!
In fact, it’s been scientifically proven that eating fruits and vegetables makes your skin color MORE attractive than a suntan. All compliments of yellow pigments in produce called carotenoids. These pigments actually tint your skin a golden, healthy hue. Aim for >3 cups of produce daily for at least 6 weeks for the best effect.
Boost your attractiveness by eating more orange produce & leafy greens:
Almost everything requires a password. To make it “strong”, we come up with something so unique that it feels like mental gymnastics trying to remember it! [Example: pet name + birth date + $]
WOW Challenge: Change your passwords to motivating health mantras.
Think about it. You gotta type passwords into your gadgets all day long. This is the perfect opportunity to get a regular dose of healthy inspiration. Get creative using numbers and symbols for stronger security.
Here are a few to get you started:
- Eat>Greens (eat more greens)
- DrinkT@PM (drink tea in the afternoon)
- LungesB4Bed (lunges before bed)
Check out the image to the left for more ideas.