The Nutrition WOW mission: Spread simple yet powerful inspiration for a healthier & happier you.
Take a look around this site for ideas on how to eat right & feel awesome! We believe when you treat yo'self well you will be the healthiest & happiest person you know!
Do you get the WOW? Each Monday we send you a simple yet powerful idea, recipe or challenge to inspire your week. Sign-up & spread the WOW with friends!
Phone apps can help us take healthy living up a notch.
Apps like calorie counters & step trackers collect data. Retroactive. Other apps can actually inspire & promote real change. Here are my current favs:
1) Songza. Awesome playlists to motivate a workout or set a fun mood for cooking. (Free)
2) Don’t Break The Chain. Choose a goal & this app helps you stay focused on daily action. (Free)
3) Anylist. Super easy way to create shopping lists & organize recipes. (Free)
What they are:
Chipotles are dried, smoked jalapeños. Adobo is a tangy, slightly sweet red sauce. When they are combined in a can, they become a versatile pantry staple.
How to use:
Honey Chipotle Salmon: Puree w/ honey & brush on salmon.
Chipotle Black Bean Tacos: Puree w/ black beans for a taco filling or dip.
Creamy Chipotle Dressing: Puree w/ plain 2% greek yogurt & toss w/ chopped romaine & sliced red onion.
Easy Chipotle Condiments: Chop & mix w/ ketchup, mustard or BBQ sauce.
Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup: This is a fall-weather must try. Get the easy, vegan, GF recipe HERE!
How to store extras:
Fridge: Place in covered container (not can) for up to 1 month.
Freezer: Chop & freeze in 1 T piles. Transfer frozen piles to small container for up to 3 months.
We were taught early on that “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”…and now they may even help keep extra weight away.
New research suggests that all apples are not created equal. While all contain nutrition heavy-hitters like prebiotics, fiber and polyphenols, of the 7 types of apples studied, the tart Granny Smith contained the most of these good-for-you compounds.
Granny Smith apples were found to balance out friendly bacteria in the gut, which may increase satiety & keep weight in check. Yeah, Granny!
My Top 5 Ways to Go Granny
– Green smoothies
– Apple & cheddar cheese
– Toast, nut butter & apple slices
– Hot apple crisp (microwave apple slices & top w/ granola)
– Chewy apple chips (recipe HERE)
How do you like them apples?
I heart my morning coffee. But hey, my usual cup of joe just got some fierce competition…
New research suggests that yerba mate (yer-bah mah-tay) tea deserves equal adoration – especially if you exercise. When sipped before a moderate workout, it can increase your calorie burn by 24%. Now that’s a skinny latte!
So what is yerba mate exactly? It’s a naturally-caffeinated (about the same as black tea) dried tree leaf from South America that can be brewed just like regular tea.
Make: Morning Mate Latte
1. Steep 1 yerba mate tea bag in 1 cup hot water for about 5 minutes.
2. Add 1/2 cup warm unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
3. Top with cinnamon.
– Steep the tea bag longer for a stronger flavor.
– Add a teaspoon of honey for a bit of sweetness.
– Use 2 tablespoons coconut milk instead of almond milk. Oh creamy.
Mmmmm… mate latte!
Oh My Goodness! Beans out of the slow cooker taste amazing. Try this ONCE and you’ll be a believer.
I recently started making beans in a slow cooker & let me tell you… it’s totally worth the effort. Soaked & slow cooked beans taste awesome PLUS they are easier to digest and a better source of protein & minerals than canned versions.
Use slow cooker beans to make veggie burgers, mash in tacos, puree into hummus or chop into veggie-friendly sandwich fillings. More beans in your life = more plant-protein & fiber.
Get the full OMG! Slow Cooker Beans Infographic!
If you only take cinnamon off the spice rack to spice up your morning oats, you are ‘SRSLY’ missing out.
Aside from being awesome at sustaining your energy mojo and improving cholesterol, cinnamon can be used to cut back on sugar & enhance your natural beauty.
Here are 3 ways to put cinnamon to work:
1. Natural lip plumper. Channel your inner Angelina by dipping your finger in coconut oil & then into ground cinnamon. Massage mixture on your lips for a minute. Wipe or lick it off. Reapply a little oil & enjoy fuller lips.
2. Sugar swap. Hold it. Don’t put sweetener in your coffee. Instead stir in 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Also great to sweeten up smoothies!
3. Breath freshener. Cinnamon’s antibacterial properties keep your mouth fresh. Keep a few cinnamon tea bags in your purse or desk so you can make a cup anytime you need to eliminate evidence of meal.